BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
The Director of Recreation and Parks performs complex professional and administrative work in managing MVF’s diverse recreation and leisure programs, common properties and MVF facilities. The position requires a forward thinking individual who will set a vision for the department and lead a team to plan, organize and carry out programs and special events for all ages. The director prepares short and long-term department goals and reviews their progress on a regular basis. The director is responsible for the planning and implementation of capital and reserve projects. This position participates as a member of the senior management team and, as such, assists the EVP in strategic planning for the organization and attends monthly MVF Board of Directors meetings.
- Plans, organizes, promotes and directs, through teamwork, recreational programs, parks, facilities and events for a diverse community.
- Evaluates program effectiveness and the adequacy of existing parks, pools and recreational facilities and works to secure needed alterations and additions. Is knowledgeable about environmental regulations and standards, as well as best practices for addressing the ADA.
- Develops and administers annual departmental operating and capital budgets, reserves, income and spending plans. Manages day-to-day finances of the department.
- Oversees the regular inspection of common property, including the MVF office and grounds, parks, community centers, pools, tennis courts, storm water management facilities, lakes, ponds, and playgrounds according to established schedules. Directs the timely repair and maintenance of common property and equipment to ensure resident safety and satisfaction with the appearance of the amenities.
- Directs scheduling and regulating the use of parks and recreation facilities by Boards and committees, recognized organizations, recreation programs and residents in compliance with established policy.
- Recruits, interviews, selects and trains full time, part time and seasonal staff or supervises the work of others in carrying out these personnel functions. Supervises and evaluates staff performance.
- Assesses recreation needs of Village residents, with particular emphasis on under-served populations, and administers the development of recreation classes, special events and new amenities to meet those needs.
- Develops a marketing program to promote maximum participation and use of recreation programs and facilities.
- Evaluates program offerings regularly to ensure financial self-sufficiency and continued resident interest. Revises program offerings as necessary to achieve these goals.
- Represents MVF’s interests on recreation and park issues with government agencies and professional associations. Develops cooperative programs with other recreation and parks departments and non-profit organizations for the benefit of Village residents.
- Serves as staff liaison to the MVF Recreation Committee. Prepares committee agenda with associated packet of information and conveys committee recommendations to the MVF Board of Directors for consideration.
- Implements a comprehensive safety plan for all programs and facilities, including pools. Monitors staff to ensure that reasonable safety precautions are taken.
- Solicits bids and contracts; supervises contractors and reviews work for completeness.
- Ensures facility and program compliance with applicable federal, state and county laws.
- Develops and administers departmental operating policies and procedures, ensuring that the department functions within established Board policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Significant knowledge of the philosophy, principles, objectives and practices of a large scale and widely diversified recreation and park program appealing to all ages and interest groups.
- Ability to embrace the diversity of recreational users in the community and strive to balance enhancement, expansion and environmental concerns, while still preserving the exceptional quality of life in Montgomery Village.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities.
- Experience in managing a team and running innovative, successful community programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to assist the department with a transition into more digital/technology-based practices.
- Customer-service orientation with a proven track record of effectively managing programs, budgets, and staff.
- Thorough knowledge of finance, budgetary and personnel procedures.
- Ability to attend evening meetings and weekend activities.
- Computer skills; significant experience using Microsoft Office applications.
- Graduation from a college or university with a Bachelors Degree in recreation and parks management, public administration or related field; seven to ten years of progressively responsible administrative and supervisory experience in recreation program management and park and facilities development ; or any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Possession of a driver’s license valid in the state of Maryland.
- National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA) Professional Certification/Executive Certification.
- Membership in State or National professional organizations such as MRPA and NRPA.
- Experience in using ActiveNet software.